Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

Other voices

Go down 
+23
Radazenobia
mon 1650
temp
Egbertine
AlexanderBendo
hHarpsichordk
Morten Sletten
Astarto
Joanna
*JaRoWi1647*
Nenuphar
SJuli
Artaserse
tuffy942
Pilarddcc
Rosamunda
karenpat
Vivaldi
Jarofil
Saskia
Duffy
Artemis
carolineleiden
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Artemis

Other voices - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty2nd February 2013, 14:39

Funny, I wouldn't have thought of Valer as a natural interpreter of John-woe-is-me-misery-me-Dowland. Despite my snarty remarks, I love this repertoire and Andreas Scholl does it so well - but I'm prepared to by verrr-y surprised, so I'll probably buy Valer's CD.

Thanks, Morten.

A.
Back to top Go down
karenpat

karenpat

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty2nd February 2013, 14:46

Morten Sletten wrote:
More on Valer:
Did you know he has a brand new recording out?
It's called "To Touch To Kiss To Die"
and features english songs by Purcell, Matteis and Dowland.
And there's even a new recording of Hasse's opera seria "Didone Abbandonata"
with Barna-Sabadus singing one of the leading roles...
There's so much good music around these days!!

happy

I've pre-ordered the Purcell CD on iTunes, can't wait embrace
Back to top Go down
http://www.karen-patricia.com
Egbertine

Egbertine

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty2nd February 2013, 16:45

Dear Artemis,

Some more infornation about Valer's latest cd:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yesterday I found on the internet that Valer won an important cultural prize:

Now Valer is busy with the opera Xerxes:

You can find more information about him on his facebook page.

Kind regards

Egbertine
Back to top Go down
Egbertine

Egbertine

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty2nd February 2013, 16:53

Dear Artemis,

Sorry, in the message above I made a mistake. The second link should be: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

On the facebook page operamrhein, you have to scoll down till January 27

On his own site, in the photo gallery, you will see that Valer doesn't always need hairclips

regards from Holland
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty2nd February 2013, 17:27

Dear Artemis! You and I have many common favorites![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sara Connolly is an exciting Sesto and your "Parto, parto," .... aaah.

But, Long ago I dream of singing Felipe this Sesto, and was not sure it was right for her voice. But listening to Valer, I think Philip could sing a Sesto irresistible.

Please, please, how could I convince him? What do I have to do?[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty2nd February 2013, 19:25

Egbertine,

Thanks for all the information, Egbertine! How could I have missed news of this production of Xerxes?! And the divine Terry Wey as Arsamenes as well! I'm kicking myself ... Although Xerxes is a tall order for a countertenor, I think. I do hope Valer will look after his lovely voice and not try to do too much too soon. Mind you, I'm not sure how I would feel about a Stefan Herheim production of a Handel opera! scary From the videoclips though, Valer's voice seems to be more suited to Dowland/Purcell then I would have thought - so I'll definitely get the CD. Also, pleased to note that Valer fuels himself on bananas and doesn't always need hair grips! wink

Rosamunda,

I never thought of Philippe as The Other Sesto before but now you mention it .....YESSS, YESSS!!! swoon The mere idea of it will guarantee me a totally sleepless night though! I guess you would have to ply our little hedonist with fine food and fine French wines to persuade him. devil

A.
Back to top Go down
AlexanderBendo

AlexanderBendo

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty2nd February 2013, 21:40

Artemis, Egbertine,

I put the WDR- documentary on YT, this "Xerxes" is really wonderful staged, I think!

Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty3rd February 2013, 12:48

Thanks, Mr. Bendo!

A.
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty4th February 2013, 12:53

I do not know, I do not know, dear Alexander ...
Yes, the staging looks wonderful (with some objections) and Valer has a magical voice.
But ... Xerxes?. I find it too soft, sooo Semira transvestite of king.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Artaserse has upset my head?. It's very, very possible. It was stunning!.
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty4th February 2013, 15:06

Rosamunda,
the same for me, I think P would have sounded the same way in a role like that at the age of 27. Valer should take his time. But there is a lot to expect from him in the future.... hugs
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty4th February 2013, 15:44

I wasn't going to post again on this particular topic but I've been sucked into an interesting discussion. I see that Rosamunda and Duffy also share my concern about Valer doing too much, too soon (already expressed above).

In addition to "Ombra mai fu", Serse also has to sing arias like this:

Unfortunately, the operatic world is full of ex-bright young things who blazed only for a short while - largely because they were persuaded to sing rôles that they weren't ready for or were just unsuited to their voice. Opera house managers, agents and conductors, who all have vested interests, seem to conspire in this.

I do hope Valer will be careful and I wish him well!

By the way, isn't Paula Rasmussen splendid?

A.

Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty4th February 2013, 16:00

Philippe's first Nerone must also have sounded a bit strange, I think...and as far as Valer is concerned and especially his new CD: Andreas Scholl has set the bar very high with his interpretations of Dowland and Purcell. Valer shouldn't have done that now. It sounds, well, "nice" but it doesn't transport the text. Not convincing me.

BTW, I would die for a Purcell CD by Philippe now with his matured voice. It would be the right time to do that. give heart
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty4th February 2013, 18:24

Oh, yes, yes, Duffy, I totally agree.
Philippe, recording a CD´s Purcell when you return from vacation, please!
Every time I hear his "Wondrouss machine" (with very bad very bad image and sound) I think nobody has sung this better than he:

Who could forget his rendition of "My dearest, my fairest" with Andreas?.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Dear Artemis, to Valer the role of Semira has been perfect at this time. Do not you think so?. I can not imagine anyone who would have played better and to me it would hurt a lot he stumble with the Peter Principle.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
AlexanderBendo

AlexanderBendo

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty4th February 2013, 21:44

Rosamunda
Artemis
( reverence )

I think ( imho) , Valer´s voice is too masculine to identify him only with Semira, his acting was really convincing for sure , but I´d prefer to see him as a hero, not as a "dying swan" at all.

( Btw " Crude furie" : great!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )

Duffy
I forbade myself just to imagine how like sounded Philippe´s first Nerone. blush But his first Orfeo...more imaginable, no ?

Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty4th February 2013, 22:07

Thanks a lot Alexander Bendo, I love this aria and this rendition!!!
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty4th February 2013, 23:13

He, he, Mr. Bendo - I've just returned home from Joyce DiDonato's "Drama Queens" recital - she was great - every inch the diva (and a frock to die for)!

Rosamunda,

I agree. Valer's performance as Semira was an enchantment, pure and simple, and I don't think it could have been performed better. I'm sure too there are many more rôles that he can sing. He's definitely not a one trick pony! I'm just a little concerned about the opera "industry's" tendency to latch on to the latest thing and to get them to perform anything and everything regardless of whether they are ready or it suits them. Young tenors are particularly vulnerable in this respect and the industry seems to use them, burn them up and spit them out at will. I don't want this to happen to young countertenors - particularly the delicious ones! no-no!

A.
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty4th February 2013, 23:36

Oh , Artemis, how lucky you are! I am totally in love with her "Crude furie". I must confess I watched her Dramma Queens promotional video and it was the first time I knew about her...Her CD seems a great way to start learning something about her [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I like very much Valer's "Hasse reloaded", especially his "Cadrà tra poco in cenere". I should have a look to his "To kiss"
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty5th February 2013, 07:13

Hi, Pilar!

As well as being a fine mezzo, Joyce is also a superb actress. She's a real stage animal. I saw her a couple of weeks ago positively chewing up the scenery in the New York Met's Live in HD series as Maria Stuarda - along with Elza van den Heever, a young South African soprano, who was a gutsy, strutting Elizabeth I. Some of Joyce's finest Met performances are available on DVD - notably as the page Isolier in Rossini's "Comte Ory" and as Sycorax in "The Enchanted Island" (a baroque pastiche).

She also has a charmingly natural platform personality. Last night, The Frock To Die For got a spontaneous round of applause from the audience (and wolf whistles from the men). A delighted Joyce treated the audience to a little twirl so that we could see the dress from the back. She also endearingly cradled her bouquet during the encores - most artists lay it aside ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty5th February 2013, 09:51

Dear Artemis,

Thanks for sharing this information. Yesterday I was checking her CD's and I definitely will buy some!!
Back to top Go down
AlexanderBendo

AlexanderBendo

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty5th February 2013, 11:33

Artemis,

so, we share also our passion for Lady Joyce ! dance
Have you already read her blog "Yankeediva"?

Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty6th February 2013, 13:06

Thanks, Mr.Bendo. Although, "Yankee Diva" already features in my "Favourites" list, along with a lot of other opera blogs - Yes, I know, I should get a life and get out more!!

A.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty21st February 2013, 19:39

Pure, unalloyed joy!

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty21st February 2013, 22:53

Artemis

yes!

Lucky students here!

( There was also " Svegliatevi nel core", but the user removed it, pity .)

" J’essaye de contrôler mon image et je ne vois pas pourquoi je parlerais de ma vie privée ou pourquoi je devrais faire connaître publiquement mes choix politiques ou autres." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty7th March 2013, 08:57

David Hansen [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as Cherubino .

" J’essaye de contrôler mon image et je ne vois pas pourquoi je parlerais de ma vie privée ou pourquoi je devrais faire connaître publiquement mes choix politiques ou autres." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty7th March 2013, 13:07

I prefer this one:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] prankster
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty7th March 2013, 13:31

Ahimè!! Yet another countertenor who can't keep his hands off "Voi che sapete". Philippe, Max and Nikos Spanos have all had a go at it too. Excellent though their versions are, just leave it alone, chaps - it's not what Wolferl wanted!

(Just my opinion ...)

A.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty12th March 2013, 08:50

Since we were discussing "Crude furie" above, what do you think of our Megabise here?!

Actually, I prefer Yuri singing Rossini (afterwards) but that's just me ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty12th March 2013, 10:09

Wow, Artemis, Yuri is fantastic!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty12th March 2013, 11:06

Yes, Pilar, he is! And here he is channelling Farinelli (also from Cardiff) ... I'll never understand why he didn't win.

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty12th March 2013, 14:26

Thanks, Artemis!

I thought the same.

Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty17th March 2013, 20:40

Yurij sings The Other Sesto ...

A.
Back to top Go down
hHarpsichordk

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty18th March 2013, 07:50

I had the pleasure of seeing Andreas Scholl with Tamar Halperin yesterday evening. 'Pleasure' is an understatement. I ended up pretty much melted at the end of the concert. His voice is so different from that of mr. Jaroussky, but so, só beautiful.
A pity he didn't sign afterwards, but I guess I'll just have to go to another concert.
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty18th March 2013, 12:30

I saw him last year in Frankfurt, also with his wife. Unfortunately he was miked....
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty22nd March 2013, 21:21

Dates for " Artaserse" 2014. Without Philippe.

Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty22nd March 2013, 21:26

"Venezia" with M.-E. Cencic from München, Germany by ARTE live web:

Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty22nd March 2013, 22:11

Thanks, Jana. Straight to "favourites" and I've still got 173 days left to enjoy ...

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty22nd March 2013, 23:45

The new " Arpeggiata" - CD is released in Germany!

Back to top Go down
karenpat

karenpat

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty31st March 2013, 15:29

By chance I stumbled upon the broadcast of a live recording of Handel's Poro, re dell'Indie yesterday....with Franco Fagioli in the title role. I managed to record it! As of now it's in 3 parts but needs editing & splitting. If anyone's interested I can upload it somewhere once I've finished. smile
Back to top Go down
karenpat

karenpat

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty2nd April 2013, 15:55

here it is: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

reverence
Back to top Go down
Saskia

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty12th April 2013, 20:11

I like: Les Arts florissants > "Le Jardin de Monsieur Rameau"

Enjoy the spring, the sun on weekend and new flowers. flowers
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty15th April 2013, 20:26

Today I shared a nice conversation in FB about last Xavier Xabata's CD.

Here is the video: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Please let me know what do you think about it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty15th April 2013, 23:16

Hi, Pilar,

I really like Sabata's voice (and he was great as Philippe's mum in Sant' Alessio!) and Il Pomo d'Oro are fabulous. I'd be interested to see the tracklist. How many Handelian "Bad Guys" are there for a countertenor to sing? In Handel's day, the baddies were sung by tenors as a rule. Bryn Terfel has already done an album of (baritonal) "Bad Boys" so the concept is not new - and even he was having problems finding enough really bad boys (as opposed to loveable rogues like Dulcamara) to include.

I see that "Sorge nel petto" has been included - is Gottfredo an out and out baddie? Anyway, it's one of my favourite Handel arias and Xavier sings it beautifully. Here's Lawrence Zazzo's version which I like very much too:

A.

Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty16th April 2013, 00:44

Dear Artemis,

Thanks for your answer. I like his voice, but I think he doesn't move me much, my heart is already taken [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] However, his album seems very interesting. Now I'm listening to Alessandro, his role is very beautiful. I must admit I'm quite shocked about his look, he seems just out of his bed! I can't imagine Philippe singing in his underwear...okay I can, but that's not the point! hehehe, for me it's a matter of "decorum".

Thanks for Zazzo's video I didn't know him and he is great! I didn't also know Bryn Terfel, I'm going to check him.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty16th April 2013, 07:43

Quote: "I can't imagine Philippe singing in his underwear ..." Thanks, Pilar - you've just managed to shatter my peace of mind for the rest of the day grin

I agree. Mr. Sabata should purchase a large Demis Roussos-style caftan and cover himself up! Laughing I think the "dressing down" and facial hair is an attempt to appear grrr-macho and a reaction against the stereotype of the countertenor (Xavier is not alone in this) - understandable in the 50s and 60s, but hardly necessary now, I would have thought. CTs do seem to love facial hair - everything from full face fungus (David Daniels) to designer stubble (Andreas Scholl and my beloved Max) and all stations in between (Barna-Sabadus et al) ... I prefer our smooth-faced ephebe inlove and forgive him everything (even the bare feet and cargo pants in the Caldara promotional video) ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty16th April 2013, 09:09

All this talk of countertenors past has reminded me of the hero of my youth - Paul Esswood - the David of all Davids (deep sigh). This recording never fails to move me with its heartstopping gorgeousness ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty16th April 2013, 10:58

hehehe, I think it's a good start for the morning [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] but I guess we have to content ourselves with Philippe's casual chic [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. Sabata's macho look has nothing to do with his way of moving and talking...I also prefer the ephebic type, more apollinean!

Your David Esswood is fantastic!!!
Back to top Go down
karenpat

karenpat

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty16th April 2013, 13:51

Pilarddcc wrote:
I must admit I'm quite shocked about his look, he seems just out of his bed! I can't imagine Philippe singing in his underwear...okay I can, but that's not the point! hehehe, for me it's a matter of "decorum".

When I first watched that video I was kind of surprised by his fashion choices too - not just the "meggings" but the facial hair and glasses too. I know quirky glasses with thick frames are very in right now but he has such lovely eyes, he shouldn't cover them up wink (ETA: I don't remember if he's actually wearing them so much in the EPK video but he wears the pair I'm referring to a lot in the recent photos from the Tamerlano recording session)

On the topic of facial hair, I like Philippe's "off-duty-5-o'-clock-shadow-look" that he's been sporting in some of the traveling photos lately.

*ashamed of self for posting solely about matters of appearance in a thread dedicated to voices, ooops*..... blush
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty16th April 2013, 14:44

I'll be seeing both Xavier and Max in "Alessandro" in May. Memo to self: Don't forget to give an in-depth report on the facial hair situation ... prankster

A.

Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty16th April 2013, 15:24

Dear karenpat, don't be ashamed, we are also flesh and bones [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Good point, Artemis, we will wait impatiently for your report!
Back to top Go down
Saskia

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty22nd April 2013, 20:42

ARTE Lounge (german language) from 2012:
A nice conversation with Andreas Scholl:

"Uncomplicated" and "sympathetic " and "with humour" good

The first part:
A small lesson with Andreas Scholl and a nice moderator with talent. wink embrace
After that — a nice statement for baroque music. I like it. friends

("Yes — good for the soul.... I agree with you!" flowers )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Other voices   Other voices - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Other voices
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next