Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

"Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012

Go down 
+4
carolineleiden
Pilarddcc
mon 1650
Duffy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Duffy

"Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty
PostSubject: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty14th January 2012, 20:39

I just arrived back home from Neuss. I saw Opium before in May and it was beautiful. But I didn't expect such a change. Philippe has gone through an enormous development during the past months. The voice sounding warm and broad, in the lower notes like velvet. I never had the impression that he would almost sort of slip into the chest voice like in May. We could feel and see that he felt comfortable about singing this repertoire. No visible effort. He acted what he sang and played with the audience. He started with "L'Ile Inconnue". Why doesn't there exist a record of it, so romantic and beautiful. Funny (and loud) chuckles in "Fêtes Galantes". No need to write much about "L'heure exquise" or "A Chloris". overwhelming and tender. "Trois Jours de Vendange" sung from enthusiastic joy to deep grief. Three encores. "La Diva del'Imperio" which he announced in German. Sung with so much fun that I wouldn't have been surprised if he would have lifted the legs of his trousers to show what the described English lady did with her skirts. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The lullaby by Xavier Monsalvatge and finally, what else, "Sombrero" in head and chest voice.
Standing ovations, cheers and an obviously very happy singer.

Perfect, wonderful, fantastic, moving, funny and, yes, eye-candy also.
And.....no, there wasn't any technical support.

If anyone of you hasn't seen and heard "Opium" yet, this is highly recommended. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mon 1650

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty14th January 2012, 21:27

Thank you for critic
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty14th January 2012, 22:40

I'm glad you liked it so much. I'm not much into mélodies françaises, even if I like how French sounds, I think I don't enjoy very much this kind of poesie-music. I have Opium (obviously!) but I only listened to it like four or five times, not my cup of tea, even if some of the melodies are very pretty. My boyfriend told me that you have to be French to love that music, maybe it is too French for me...but you're German... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BTW: Philippe told in an interview that he received horrible critics in France because of that CD. It seesm that Opium was best-seller in Germany and UK but not in his country. It is weird, Am I missing something about this kind of melodies? Is Philippe's album in any way transgressor for the French tradition? I'm curious about this topic!
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty15th January 2012, 00:07

Pilardcc
Did you recognize the DVD Verbier in the topic audio+video downloads? Have a look! I changed my mind after watching it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty15th January 2012, 01:29

Thanks Duffy, I will definetely check it! How hard is to be a Philippe's admirer...so many dvd's and cd's to watch [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I think I'm going to need a break in order to do my duty [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty15th January 2012, 10:48

mon 1650
It wasn't a critic it was a hymn. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty15th January 2012, 14:00

I am Dutch and I like the songs from Opium too. I don't know why it was not received so well in France. Maybe because he is too well known there, (he's on TV every week or so, it seems), for all the other repertoire. It is maybe too different, not what they expect of him. We do not know him so well here, so we are surprised at anything he does anyway.smile

Duffy, you forgot to praise Jerome Ducros. He is a wonderful pianist solo (who does a great Bach too!), but also a talented accompanist.

Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty15th January 2012, 14:12

Caroline: I didn't mean that if you're not French you're not able to enjoy this music, it was a scherzo! I mean, between Spain and France there is such a hate-love story, so it quite usual (among educated people) to say "this is too much French for me" when you find something particularly entangled!

I promise I will do my best watching Verbier's festival and trying to educate my ear to melodie française! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Nenuphar

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty16th January 2012, 21:16

Duffy,

I've been in Munich to the same concert two days before Neuss- I didn't write about it till now, because I was too overwhelmed to find the right words.... roll eyes
You found them and I can fully agree with your critic (or your hymn!)
Before that concert I used to say, that "Opium" is a CD, which is a little bit difficult to approach (but of course that didn`t hinder me to buy a ticket for this concert - every chance to see Philippe has to be taken!!!!), but in this event there where so many heartbreaking moments and beautiful emotions - what a pity, you can't find every song on the CD or on youtube!
At the end of the concert he got standing ovations - like you said:
Perfect, wonderful, fantastic, moving, funny and eye-candy also!!!!
And he was in a very good mood while he was signing, too!
And - definitely no hidden mics! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty16th January 2012, 22:34

Nenuphar,
there is an enthusiastic critic of Munich also...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Anyone planning to go to Berlin?
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty16th January 2012, 22:40

OK, here is another one....the critic must have been somewhere else than me...
I heard all the facets, anyway, I don't care. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty17th January 2012, 00:53

Dear Duffy, I've just finished watching Verbier's festival. I must confess I like more watching him in a concert than listening a record, but I think I am more appreciative from the visual point of view blush my musical ear is like a stone...I know that for a fact!

I'm with Nenuphar, Opium is quite difficult to approach. I need more working whistle

However I'm starting to enjoy it but I definitely prefer baroque stuff, I mean who can ever resist his dolce fiamma?? bow
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty17th January 2012, 09:48

I´m in love with Philippe´s" Mélodies françaises" since my first meeting them live in the small Purcell Room in London, March 2009..... this kind of "Lied" is ( to me) much more magical, expressive and seductive than the " Lied" itself. Maybe because of the atmosphere of "Fin de siècle" , its fragrant decádence and mystical darkness...

When Philippe sings these Mélodies in French, it sounds to me like an magic spell and I become totally entranced .....

So, I still anticipate the Verlaine- CD ( though, I prefer Rimbaud!)

Duffy
Nenuphar

Thanks for sharing !
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty17th January 2012, 10:13

Pilarddcc:I Suppose that you know that Philip will be in Madrid at the Teatro de la Zarzuela, on February 7, I think with the same program in Neuss.
Unfortunately I can not go to Madrid that day, and it hurts my soul for this missed opportunity.
The French song is not for me especially interesting, but in Philip's voice is as one would expect nothing and everything is transformed into something different and dangerous.
For me, like you, his baroque, early or late, it's so irresistible ... "Why are love´s raptures so short an so sweet?" swoon
Duffy and Nenuphar:Thanks for your feedback, through your eyes I can I recover a little of what I will not be able to see in Madrid.

Last edited by Rosamunda on 18th January 2012, 00:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
idubrov

idubrov

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty17th January 2012, 12:03

It seems that the rather cold reception of the Opium album in France has nothing to do with M Jaroussky's interpretation of the repertoire; it's just not all that popular in France nowadays - considered old-fashioned and boring... Personally, I adore the French Melodies! They sound so much sweeter and more decadent from this formidable singer!!!
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty17th January 2012, 12:44

idubrov hugs

Full agree! Philippe said, even Berlioz was forgotten for a long time and played in England much more than in France.

His voice has there an decadent cold sweetness of a boy who had already some experiences with opium. That is this inexplicable feeling of "the unbearable lightness of being " accompanied by any exotic flavoured scent .... swoon
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty17th January 2012, 12:55

JaroWi: Thank you for your insights! When is Verlaine's CD going to be ready?

Rosamunda: It's a pity, I'm not sure if I 'm going to be there. I don't have a ticket because I am waiting to know if I am actually able to be in Madrid by this date!

Idubrov: Very interesting. I thought the reception has something to do with his rendition and his voice. French poesie and music in XIX sounds very decadent, I think the CD's title OPIUM is a very right one, French melodies are quite feverish and maybe a little toxic...I think that Philippe offers a very accomplished rendition of those ideas. He seems like a young man hipnotized by the lyrics he sings, I mean like under some kind of spell.

Have any of you read Praz's book La carne, la morte e il diavolo nella letteratura romantica? I think he depicts very well the idea of decadentism and maybe this is what Philippe's tries so ahrd to share with us recording this kind of music. Just an idea!
Back to top Go down
Nenuphar

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty17th January 2012, 23:10

I didn't want to open a new "Opium"-Topic...
I think it doesn't matter if it is Neuss or Munich!
Just listen and enjoy:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012   "Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012 Empty

Back to top Go down

"Opium in Neuss" 13. January 2012
Page 1 of 1