Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

"Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..."

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Joanna

Joanna

"Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..." Empty
PostSubject: "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..."   "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..." Empty29th March 2010, 00:35

Philippe Jaroussky :Sometimes I would prefer be the devil..
Interview by Tomasz Handzlik

TH:Do you remember your first appearance at the festival Misteria Paschalia?

PhJ:Five, maybe six years ago.It was my first visit in Krakow and Poland,and immediately it was complete madness.On the inaugural concert of the festival had to occur countertenor Brian Asawa,but he fell ill and at the last minute canceled his arrival..Then called me Filip Berkowicz - the festival's artistic director,and he suggested replacement.I agreed but I told that I could arrive on the day of the concert,because the day before I played concert in Paris.Everything happened very quickly and spontaneously, and of course was not without adventure.Plane to Cracow was a terrible delay.When he had start from Paris, did not reach
even to France!...Festival organizators to got the white fever.
I came to Krakow two hours before the concert.No rest nor decent rehearsal with the orchestra, and I had to sing Vivaldi's "Nisi Dominus" - piece,whose I never sang in publicly.Stress was immense, but I think it was good, because the audience seemed to be charmed.

TH:Now, You sing here almost every year.

PhJ:Through travel over the world, I realized that Paris is not the hub of the universe (bee's knees).I also became friends with your city,also I fell in love with this festival, because when I sing here I feel that the audience knows,what music they came to listen.
Shortly after my debut in Cracow,I decided to strengthen cooperation with the Festival Misteria Paschalia.And actually, now I come here every year.I was also invited to perform in a series of Opera Rara.My relationships with Cracow become therefore more close.It 's a merit your cultural policy,because Poland, becomes not only an economically strong country, but also a very dynamic center of culture in Europe.

TH:Supposedly, you were a violinist?

PhJ:Adventure with music I started quite late, because I was eleven years old.First I played the violin, then piano.but I never sang in the choir,so I never thought that I become a singer.I saw even this famous film by Gerard Corbiau "Farinelli:il castrato", but I confess that I was quite bored.
However a few years later I went to the concert the French countertenor Fabrice di Falco.His magical voice touched me, I was fascinated and I thought that this is it ,what I would do in my life.So shortly later I sang all the "boring" arias from Farinelli.How did this happen?Well, only stupid people do not change the views...

TH:A few years ago, you recorded a album "Carestini - The Story of a Castrato. " What is the biggest secret of castrato?

PhJ:Ask you about this them amazing technique of singing?Considerable importance was ,of course, castration and achieved in this way possibilities of physical.But above all,it was a matter of devilishly difficult exercises and the enormous sacrifices.Because if someone has already decided to become a castrato, he agreed to such, and no other life.10 years science of singing in school, and then continued further sacrifices and hard work also.All that had
an impact not only on technical skills, but also expression.Great emotions and dramatic of artistic expression castrates, had been a reflection of their personal lives.They were people who devoted a life art of singing. And only this.

TH:How long to endure career of the contemporary countertenor?

PhJ:In the life of every artist, there comes a moment in which should forgo from further performances.The problem is that not everyone can look at themselves objectively and make a decision.But a countertenor career ,isn't so different from the careers of other singers.Also everything depends on how the chosen repertoire,and the quantity of concerts a year.For 10 or 20 years, of course, I can change the repertoire, resign of the virtuoso arias for the technically simpler music of Purcell and J.S.Bach.And if I had quite a break from singing, probably I decide to for lectures,I would lead singing class, master
classes and thus I could still travel the world. And may also I begin conducting Baroque operas....

TH:Early music is your natural language,but have you tried to sing the music newer?

PhJ:My repertoire is mainly baroque music by Vivaldi, Handel, Scarlatti, Monteverdi - it's my basis,starting point,but often, I sing also works by other composers. I recorded the music of Johann Christian Bach, often I reach for the lesser-known artists,even like a Leonardo Leo.I sing contemporary music too, though more rarely,but that's not a matter of my choice.Contemporary composers rarely decide to use the countertenor voice,although
this is changing slowly. Barely a month ago, I sang in Paris,piece which was written specifically for me by Marc-André Dalbavie,and for the year I will be sing in the contemporary opera which tells the story of Caravaggio.

TH:One critic wrote that you're a singer with the voice of an angel and devilish
virtuosity.You're an angel or a devil?

PhJ:I like to be an angel and the devil,although sometimes really I'd rather be the
devil.Because when people around you ,say over and over again that you are excellent,that your voice sounds beautiful,that you're wonderful - you can finally have had enough.And sometimes when I get home or to the hotel, I think to myself: "damn, I'm not so wonderful and nice!"and then wakes up in me this dark side of power.On the stage also I'm not always an angel.Recently I sang in the role of Nero in the opera "L'incoronazione di Poppea" by C.Monteverdi,and rather difficult to say that Nero was a holy..But I don't like to do devilish tricks with the voice.I try to sing as natural as possible and thus give emotions and dramatic contained in the text.
end

*><><><><><
Il ragazzo,special for You [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I translated Polish interview but ...OMG...I wonder if anyone will understand this interpretation [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
P.S.really sorry for my poor English [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
massacre... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..."   "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..." Empty29th March 2010, 01:02

Joanna
Thaaaanks, caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaraaaaaaaaaaa!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

( Now, I can see, that this interview is quite old... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

P.S. So, the next time NO more nice words to Philippe, damn! Bad boy! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Joanna

Joanna

PostSubject: Re: "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..."   "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..." Empty29th March 2010, 08:30

You're welcome ,my Dear! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Theoretically an interview was released on 25 April in a Polish newspaper, but possible that this is interview with Philippe's previous residence in Poland, excavated somewhere from the archives of the festival...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Oh yessss...bad... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..."   "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..." Empty29th March 2010, 09:34

Joanna Oh, stop apologising about your English!! Look, Philippe’s English is far from perfect but WHO CARES?! The same about your posting. It is absolutely PRECIOUS.
Back to top Go down
karenpat

karenpat

PostSubject: Re: "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..."   "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..." Empty2nd April 2010, 17:19

I think a lot of performers feel that way - that they can get annoyed when given too much praise. I think Joshua Bell also mentioned that in an interview, that when people go up to him and compliment on his playing he says he can't take their word for it cause they don't understand. In the same segment he explained that he liked to play with Stephen Isserlis cause he'd actually tell him if he'd done a less than perfect job. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It must be even worse for Philippe when some people seem to regard him as more of a celestial being than a human being.....(even when the comparison is done in a playful manner).
Back to top Go down
http://www.karen-patricia.com
Mercè

Mercè

PostSubject: Re: "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..."   "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..." Empty19th April 2010, 20:01

I've just read this interview and I think is a good translation! Thanks!
I think Jaroussky is'nt an angel: he's a Witch!!! Or not? He has bewitched us all!

Regards
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..."   "Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..." Empty

Back to top Go down

"Sometimes I would prefer to be a devil..."
Page 1 of 1