Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

Niobe, Regina di Tebe

Go down 
+19
Vandea
SJuli
luquemj
Rosamunda
temp
Duffy
Balletlover
Jarofil
Morten Sletten
nanina
Joanna
tuffy942
Artaserse
NoteSensible
Gisotiza
*JaRoWi1647*
Kelalla
mon 1650
rikkapijemy
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rikkapijemy

Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty
PostSubject: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty16th May 2011, 17:21

Hello everybody

Here's a link on this opera:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
mon 1650

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty20th May 2011, 12:57

Merci!
Back to top Go down
Kelalla

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty5th June 2011, 08:41

Here is a fragment of rehearsal from Boston:
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty5th June 2011, 10:56

Kelalla

THANK YOU for the link!!! flowers

It will be THE FEAST for all senses and feelings.....

Spoiler:

swoon
Back to top Go down
Gisotiza

Gisotiza

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty5th June 2011, 15:02

I just want to share with you this preview of Niobe... I want to go... and I have tickets, but not money to pay the trip... if somebody wish to go, please contact me... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Enjoy.

Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty7th June 2011, 07:15

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
NoteSensible

NoteSensible

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty7th June 2011, 16:57

Waow ! It must be wonderful ! Thank you for the link !
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty11th June 2011, 23:16

Quote :
It took French countertenor Philippe Jaroussky, 33, all of five minutes to accept the role of King Anfione in Agostino Steffani’s seldom performed baroque opera Niobe, Queen of Thebes (1688). Once shown the score, he could not help but exclaim, “Oh, my God, this is beautiful music!”

Jaroussky discovered the opera after lutenist Paul O’Dette, co-director of the Boston Early Music Festival, traveled to Europe to hear him sing in conductor William Christie’s production of Landi’s Il Sant’Alessio. When O’Dette came backstage afterwards to offer congratulations and show him Steffani’s score, Jaroussky reacted almost immediately.
“I was very surprised by the music,” he explained at the start of a transatlantic phone conversation. “I accepted absolutely. While I knew of Steffani because he’s quite famous for his chamber music and huge influence on Handel, I didn’t know his opera music. It’s a very special style, very virtuosic and very moving.”

Although most synopses of Niobe’s libretto, which was inspired by Ovid’s Metamorphoses, home in on Queen Niobe’s tragic loss of her fourteen children and her husband Anfione’s subsequent suicide, Jaroussky’s focus is quite different. He describes the part of Anfione, which was written for castrato voice, as about a king who wants to give up his powers just to compose music.

“He’s a little bit like Orfeo, who convinces the gods to bring his wife back to life,” he says. “In the middle of the opera, his singing is able to build new walls to defend the city. It’s quite a magical power, and very challenging to show in the production. I’m quite excited by it.

“Anfione is a very sweet character, and his music is particularly beautiful. He wants to retire from the world just to compose music. At the end, he learns that all of his children will be killed by God. He cannot support that, and he kills himself. It’s very touching.”

SYNOPSIS
Spoiler:

Paul O’Dette & Stephen Stubbs, Musical Directors
Gilbert Blin, Stage Director
Caroline Copeland & Carlos Fittante, Choreographers
Anna Watkins, Costume Designer
Gilbert Blin, Set Designer
Lenore Doxsee, Lighting Designer
Kathleen Fay, Executive Producer
Abbie H. Katz, Associate Producer
Ellen Hargis, Assistant Stage Director

Flying effects provided by ZFX, Inc. surprised

CAST:
Amanda Forsythe, Niobe
Philippe Jaroussky, Anfione
Yulia Van Doren, Manto
Charles Robert Stephens, Tiresia
Kevin D. Skelton, Clearte
Matthew White, Creonte
Jesse Blumberg, Poliferno
Colin Balzer, Tiberino
Jose Lemos, Nerea

Premiere- tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK , PHILIPPE! Toi toi toi! clapping

Back to top Go down
Artaserse

Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty12th June 2011, 17:27

swoon

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
tuffy942

tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty12th June 2011, 22:15

I think seeing him die will be extremely sad....I only wish I could record some of it but my i phone is not exactly a great camera!!!!I will ask Paul O'Dette about a future dvd though, he MUST have it recorded!!!I am a "contributor" or whatever to the Boston Opera so I hope I can talk to him. The theater is gorgeous and I feel this might be one of the most beautiful operas to go to DVD...I will definitely get a special saludo for the girls in this forum!!! drinks and pictures if they will let us. I get embarrassed giving presents but so be it.(blush)Heart attack moment.
Back to top Go down
mon 1650

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty12th June 2011, 22:20

Merci ...Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty13th June 2011, 09:05

tuffy942

Yes, they WILL have their own recording, of course! All the productions were recorded. So, maybe you´re so extremely lucky to get this "house- tape". grin

About the "death" - in the video ( Forum above) on the question "How will you die?" Il Primo Uomo answered - " It will be а sweet suicide, not violent". Though.... cry

You´re our ambassador now!
Please, don´t forget saludo also for the boys here! We´re only a few, but .... horseman

Good luck and ENJOY! dance

Last edited by Artaserse on 13th June 2011, 10:23; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Joanna

Joanna

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty13th June 2011, 09:17

Vive Le Roi!!

Artaserse
flowers swoon
Back to top Go down
rikkapijemy

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty13th June 2011, 16:22

Early reviews
Back to top Go down
nanina

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty13th June 2011, 18:16

Here is a libretto:
Back to top Go down
Joanna

Joanna

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty13th June 2011, 21:30

Back to top Go down
tuffy942

tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty14th June 2011, 01:58

Last review of yesterday's debut:

Back to top Go down
Joanna

Joanna

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty14th June 2011, 21:59

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
tuffy942

tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty15th June 2011, 04:38

It was the most magical opera I have seen. The music was unbelievably beautiful and his voice filled the theatre. I will tell all tomorrow. kiss I had a nice talk with him!
Back to top Go down
tuffy942

tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty15th June 2011, 13:29

Now that I am on earth again, I can tell you that this opera was a jewel. Well sung, beautifully costumed as you guys have seen in the pictures. There were moments that were otherwordly, like when the children revolve slowly around their father, the King, carrying spheres representing planets, while Philippe sings the most incredible melody, as the walls of Thebes slowly rise from the ground. Goosebump moment!!
Since you have read all reviews, I will let you know about Philippe....I sent him some flowers before the opera, and he sent word he would talk to me after. So I was all full of butterflies. I went backstage and waited for him. After long endless moments he was there, bright eyed (maybe bushy tailed too,I don't know) and immediately recognized me and kissssssssseeeeddd me....I gave him some stuff and he was funny, he said "Oh, it's Xmas again!!"I asked him if he was tired and he said this opera was "preciosa" but it was easy for him, just get up and sing...!!!!Right!
He did tell me they will have the CD soon, and "Maybe" they were talking about a DVD for next year. He also said he had to work "like a beast" when he got back and that he would see Cecilia Bartoli. He will be back in October and November. He thought Boston was very quiet. I asked him if he reads this forum and he said he did, some times, and was grateful to everyone . He seemed very surprised when he asked me if I had gone to Boston just for the opera and I said of course. I think he is really so modest he does not see how special it is what he gives us, and what a star he is! kiss
My husband was flapping his arms and looking not happy, so after I gave him a CD of South american arias sung by a tenor (he made a joke about the guy "looking like a tenor") I had to say goodbye, he said he would see me next time, kiss,kiss and that was it.All in all it made not only my day but my year. clapping Beautiful man.
Back to top Go down
Morten Sletten

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty15th June 2011, 20:14

Oh! You lucky you!! This was a really beautiful story! - And it's true! What a sympathic man he is! - A such a wholehearted artist! "Niobe" must be THE performance of this season! The staging seems wholly amazing! A real baroque opera that looks and sounds baroque through and through!! The sets, the costumes and the voices... Oh, my God!! I can't wait to get hold of the recording!! - And I really hope it will be filmed and issued as a DVD also!! I'm stunned! flowers
Back to top Go down
Jarofil

Jarofil

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty15th June 2011, 23:41

Aaaah. Congratulations, I was full of butterflies, too, when I only read it. heat
The scenes you describe sound so exciting - the planets!! And the music and all. I wish I were there! Waiting for some record, too. embrace
And your talk = heat surprised swoon
It's really pleasure to hear of the modesty in such great personality. bow sunny
Back to top Go down
tuffy942

tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty16th June 2011, 03:38

Now that I am home,and all the butterflies have subsided I will give you a proper review of the opera. Here goes.
From King, divine God, weeping father to mortal man. Philippe took us through all the emotional turmoil in an opera that should have been called "Anfione", because the opera was entirely his.Ten arias, all very diverse, all accompanied with an ensemble that deserves a whole other review.
Everyone else was in another category, although all accomplished and some , like Manto, the young girl, with a very flexible light voice and beautiful presence..But about Philippe:he took us through a whole scale of emotions as his role developed until his poignant lamentation to see his dead children.Standing there in the middle of the stage, one child in his arms. OMG. Someone in the silence of the audience said "wow!" and it was a wow performance. His voice too hovers with delicate pianissimo and pure poetry. Excellent projection in a somewhat small but deliciously baroque theatre.The coloratura in the aria di tempeste was impressive but then we are used to Philippe's ease in the runs and ornamentations.
Ms Forsythe as Niobe was adequate in a thankless role that redeems itself as she is turned into stone. The scenery was exquisite, just as an early baroque work would need. A bear, a flying dragon (in a flying cloud) and much movement of panels and scenery at the final disaster. The costumes were lavish. Lots of brocade and feathered headpieces. And to top it, several lovely dances choreographed and interpreted with energy and dancing ability.
This is if not the, one of the most beautiful operas I have ever seen. The other interpreters, Matthew White as Creonte had the most unfortunate expression throughout and his wig was too low. He does have a beautiful pure voice, not too strong. Clearte sung by Kevin Skelton was very effective and his voice reminded me of David Taylor's, or Jonathan Peter Kenny, sweet and with a great lower range.Jose Lemos as Niobe's nurse was uneven but very funny . All the interpreters were very effective. The Applause was well deserved. The roar for PJ was too.
Later I asked Philippe if it was fair for all his European audience to enjoy at a distance only, but he was vague about a DVD or "maybe next year".He did say that he felt this role was much more for him than as Nerone. I asked several people from the BEMF if there is a possibility of a DVD.I hope! A CD for sure will come out at some point hopefully this year.
Back to top Go down
Balletlover

Balletlover

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty16th June 2011, 08:23

Thank you tuffy942 for sharing your wonderful experience with us !

Quote :
Standing there in the middle of the stage, one child in his arms. OMG.

what does OMG mean ?

Quote :
And to top it, several lovely dances choreographed and interpreted with energy and dancing ability

Do you know who did the choreography and who were the dancers ?

sunny
Back to top Go down
Joanna

Joanna

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty16th June 2011, 10:26

Balletlover
The whole staff is here:

tuffy!
Many thanks for your wonderful review!!!My congratulation too!It must be magic..inlove flowers give heart

and a few other reviews..

* [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

clapping
Back to top Go down
Balletlover

Balletlover

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty16th June 2011, 13:39

Thank you Joanna kiss !
Back to top Go down
tuffy942

tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty16th June 2011, 13:57

Battlelover,
Since there is only one source for the choreography, Caroline Copeland and Mr Fittante had to do a bit of searching to recreate tha art of Baroque dance. In this case A M. Rodier had described in detail a number of choreographies for Niobe.There is a fusion of French and Italian in the dancing and the music used was ccomposed by Melchior d"Ardespin.The dancers were Melinda Sullivan,Ballet Mistress and Caroline Copley,Karen Modigh and Carlos Fittante the featured dancers. The fluidity of the costumes and airy feel gave agility and beauty to all the dances.
OMG means Oh my God and is a sign of true amazement either positive or negative. In this case it was very positive!
Back to top Go down
Balletlover

Balletlover

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty16th June 2011, 17:39

Thank you very much tuffy942 for explaining what OMG means. I had never heard of it !
And for your commentaries on the dancing part. friends
Back to top Go down
Morten Sletten

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty16th June 2011, 23:13

OMG indeed... Have you ever seen such good reviews! This is THE breaktrough for Philippe in in the US of A... Let's hope there will be a reprise of this fantastic staging somewhere in Europe as well!! I wish!!! clapping hello
Back to top Go down
mon 1650

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty17th June 2011, 21:36

Bravo! Bravo!
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty23rd June 2011, 16:10

Did you see the pirate videos in youtube? Yes I know, not authorized and so on. But they give a little impression of what goes on over there and how beautiful PJ sung!
And it's a little consolation for us poor European fans so far away........ swoon
Back to top Go down
temp

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty24th June 2011, 21:05

Duffy

Can you post the link? Oh, Please!! I must see it.
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty24th June 2011, 22:26

Duffy

The link, please, please, please!!! kiss
Back to top Go down
Morten Sletten

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty25th June 2011, 07:53

Hi!

Here's one:

- and another:

good
Back to top Go down
temp

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty25th June 2011, 08:34

Morten

GREAT!!!! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty25th June 2011, 15:44

Rosamunda,
I'm so sorry, i wasn't online.

Back to top Go down
temp

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty25th June 2011, 15:51

Duffy
Don't worry. We wouldn't have know about the clips without your post. Thank you very much for alerting us.
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty25th June 2011, 16:22

Here is something interesting for us all:

They will take the production to Europe! YESSSSS!

happy

But what will we do until 2013? think
Back to top Go down
luquemj

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty27th June 2011, 15:22

Duffy wrote:
[...]

happy

But what will we do until 2013? think

Well, there was also a reference in passing to a recording... we may hope it is done before 2013 Laughing
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty27th June 2011, 22:13

luquemj,
I really hope there will be a recording, but I'm not convinced yet. There is an exclusive contract with Virgin, will those guys tolerate a CD by the BEMF ? Let's wait and see
(and hope as well) Sad
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty3rd July 2011, 00:14

Hello to all, there are new videos on YouTube:

This voice, OMG!
give heart
Back to top Go down
Jarofil

Jarofil

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty7th July 2011, 14:48

And I have found on YT the "athmospheric" scene with planets:

Oh! It's really "the music of the spheres". I'm crying...
Back to top Go down
Joanna

Joanna

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty7th July 2011, 16:06

and...oh!what's going on.....?Laughing

Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty7th July 2011, 22:34

Another beautiful aria:
...and a gorgeous Anfione. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Joanna

Joanna

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty12th July 2011, 17:38

..a quite long interview wink
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty14th July 2011, 08:57

And here is, finally, the "sweet suicide", as Philippe called it:

Is there anyone who wouldn't have wanted to be at Mrs. Forsythe's place ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
temp

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty14th July 2011, 09:39

Joanna and Duffy

THANK YOU!!!
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty14th July 2011, 11:05

Duffy

It hurts.

cry
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty14th July 2011, 14:48

Jana

Yes, it does. But he is so cute, even when he is dying. I really hope we will see the opera in Europe. flowers
Back to top Go down
Jarofil

Jarofil

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty14th July 2011, 23:40

Duffy,

this lament sounds really like already from the "other" world. It touches so realistic, while ethereal...
Thank you very much. flowers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Niobe, Regina di Tebe   Niobe, Regina di Tebe Empty

Back to top Go down

Niobe, Regina di Tebe
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next