Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

Farinelli et Porpora

Go down 
+7
Mercè
vscott
Duffy
Artemis
Pilarddcc
*JaRoWi1647*
mon 1650
11 posters
AuthorMessage
mon 1650

Farinelli et Porpora Empty
PostSubject: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty15th September 2013, 18:09

Have you seen this?:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty16th September 2013, 14:12

mon1650

Don´t worry, it ´s just one without any musical sense and taste.

Here is something in German ( very nice short review).

" J’essaye de contrôler mon image et je ne vois pas pourquoi je parlerais de ma vie privée ou pourquoi je devrais faire connaître publiquement mes choix politiques ou autres." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty16th September 2013, 19:58

Mon1650

I posted a reply to this bad critic, let's see if it is published. I found the whole article very unfair and I coudn't help myself, even if it's like feeding the troll!
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty16th September 2013, 20:27

This one from The Independent is much kinder.

You have to feel sorry for the critic from Il Tenero Momento as he/she clearly has cloth ears.  Also to award the CD one and a half (!) stars is a sign of real mean-spiritedness.  We would still have got the message that he/she didn't like the CD very much if they had awarded two stars!  

The only valid point the critic makes is that the timing of the CD is unfortunate; with Philippe's, Franco's and David Hansen's "castrato" CDs all coming out within days of each other, I'm beginning to wonder if the recording companies operate on the London bus principle (wait around for ages with nothing happening and then three come at once). It's not so very long since we were treated to two simultaneous complete recordings of Handel's "Alessandro" for pity's sake ...roll eyes 

A.

Last edited by Artemis on 17th September 2013, 06:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : afterthought!)
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty17th September 2013, 10:09

Pilarddcc wrote:
I found the whole article very unfair and I coudn't help myself, even if it's like feeding the troll!
Even! I thought the same! Someone wrote this specially to anger us!witchy 

Artemis

...don´t forget "Venezia" some time ago, too!think

" J’essaye de contrôler mon image et je ne vois pas pourquoi je parlerais de ma vie privée ou pourquoi je devrais faire connaître publiquement mes choix politiques ou autres." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty17th September 2013, 11:23

My reply was accepted, so I guess we can disagree freely with the author. Not bad!!
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty17th September 2013, 12:01

Aaaaaah! - "Venezia" - how could I forget the divine Max?! swoon 

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty17th September 2013, 21:25

Back to top Go down
mon 1650

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty17th September 2013, 21:48

Thank very much!
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty19th September 2013, 21:14

Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty20th September 2013, 06:48

Thanks, Jana. "Three hip countertenors", eh?! In my youth, this would have been thought to be an oxymoron - they've come a long way, baby! Cool 

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty21st September 2013, 20:40

You´re welcome, Artemis!

News in German again:

..and one  interview!

"I´m waiting already 15 years for a high -c " horseman 

Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty23rd September 2013, 13:40

Here is another one from Germany:

I decided to write an own review in AMAZON in a few days.flowers 
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty23rd September 2013, 22:56

About Le Sentier!

Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty24th September 2013, 12:34

Entering the yellow press now....

Cool
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty24th September 2013, 17:10

Another favourable review from L'Express:

A.
Back to top Go down
vscott

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty24th September 2013, 18:23

Hello,
Does anyone know if the CD's that will be on sale tomorrow night at TCE, will play on a USA CD player?
Amazon in the US still does not have the new CD on sale.
Thank you!
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty25th September 2013, 20:24

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks, Joanna! flowers 

Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty25th September 2013, 21:25

You're welcome, I posted it already with the article
Back to top Go down
Mercè

Mercè

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty26th September 2013, 12:26

Hi!

I also answered criticism of "Tenero." Is in French, so I can express myself accurately in English. If you want to read it, you could use the translator.
This man has the sensitivity in the shoe sole!
Back to top Go down
tuffy942

tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty3rd October 2013, 02:48

Not being able to do much and my arm hurting badly still, I have had time to listen and read the gorgeous CD and enjoy both music and text. This is what i love about Philippe, the fact that he gives us a learning experience not only in the sounds of his unique voice which delight our senses but also the background and investigative efforts to feed our intellectual curiosity. Every CD has been a journey of discovery that Philippe leads like a talented caring teacher of the music he loves so.
Seeing him in person heightens the experience but now i have been able to concentrate on this recording. The previously unrecorded arias are 7 . His Alto Giove contains the original piece written by Porpora and later cut by the composer to reduce the demands on Farinelli. Here Philippe sings the unchanged original beautiful long piece. Obviously he does not mind the demands.
Of the other pieces I love "Nell'attendere il mio bene" where the repetitive bars convey the impatience of a lover awaiting his bene. The slower tempo with beautiful soft notes brings the longing and soft feelings Philippe's voice clearly shows, and then the da capo returns impatiently with beautiful embellishments and faultless coloratura ending with a short little "duel" between the singer and a trumpet, totally recalling Farinelli's anecdote. The breath control is incredible and even Philippe's famous sense of humor lightens the tone.
I don't see how Farinelli could have done too much better even considering his legendary castrato physique.
The pieces from Orfeo "Dall amor più sventurato" and "Sente il mil martir" were the last ones in the long venture between Porpora and Farinelli. But all the tracks in this CD are vibrant, some sorrowful, some fiery and you should buy the one with the booklet presentation; it is worth every euro or dollar to read about the circumstances of each piece. The information in it is invaluable to those of us who love
music. "Mira in cielo" is another jewel. The long notes sustained by the singer are designed to show off Farinelli's remarkable messa di voce and technique. "Le limpid' onde" creates a pastoral scene with oboes and flutes underlining the vocal runs and trills. "La gioia ch'io sento" sung with Cecilia Bartoli is playful and flirty and the voices dance with each other lightly. Another great aria is "Come nave in ria tempesta", where Philippe"s voice shows off his new maturity. Expressive and sure it throws off lovely vocal fireworks illuminating Porpora's exciting piece which needs a singer of exceptional rapidity and exactitude. Big wow.
Philippe's ornamentation always impresses me with its effortless musicality. His voice has become more complex and has new depth to express all the emotions.
in this he is unsurpassed by even Farinelli who tended to be a little wooden in his acting. Philippe's body is incredibly expressive and helps the music flow with all its colors. It is as if he had just painted a masterpiece of colors and tonal nuances. Even without seeing him one can see his music.
Philippe has grown musically and his long (too long) absence has replenished his magic. All the effort has been worthwhile and judging by the ovations his public has appreciated this. He is flying once more and giving so much of himself as he ever has. Merci, dear Philippe. Indeed only one and unique. Bravissimo!

Now one idea: this CD about the relationship between Porpora and his student, beginnings and sad (for Porpora) conclussion could have made a great opera, with Metastasio, the concerned friend intervening to ask for help for the impoverished teacher dying all alone in Naples. Did Farinelli help him? We will never know. (I kind of think PJ would have)
Again: great CD.

Back to top Go down
Nath29

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty3rd October 2013, 06:32

tuffy942 hi! Your presentation of the new CD is brilliant! flowers
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty4th October 2013, 22:04

Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty4th October 2013, 22:06

tuffy942

That is amazing and very touching review, mia cara ! I thank you from all my heart for sharing your wonderful feelings and experiences! Thank you! flowers thank you good post

Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty5th October 2013, 15:38

From The Times:

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty14th October 2013, 21:03

..and there - two new photos!!!!

Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty19th October 2013, 11:08

Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty19th October 2013, 12:43

Ph. J.'s Porpora-Farinelli CD was awarded 5 diapasons (tuning forks) in the October edition of Diapason magazine and Diapason certainly carries a lot more clout than Il Tenero Momento ...good 

A.
Back to top Go down
Mercè

Mercè

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty19th October 2013, 19:10

I totally agree!! Congratulations, Jaroussky, Marcon and Bartoli!!! clapping
Back to top Go down
Nath29

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty20th October 2013, 10:33

*JaRoWi1647* wrote:
Nice reviews, Jana, thank you for sharing. I especially liked how Frand Armbruster (Kulturjournalist) – link 3 -  described  impressions from the Porpora-Farinelli program and can't agree more with DIRK CARIUS – link 2 - he is so right about Philippe Jaroussky being full of surprises! Lucky we! agree
Back to top Go down
Lullamy

Lullamy

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty21st October 2013, 12:58

From El Cultural, in Spanish:

Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty21st October 2013, 17:09

Lullamy

Thank you !!!!flowers 

Here an review with photos from Berlin, 30.09.13 at Maison de France.

Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty26th October 2013, 00:01

Hello everyone, I wrote a translation from the Spanish interview in El Cultural. The author is not Cervantes, I can asure you!! I hope it helps:

PJ was seventeen when he watched Farinelli with a friend from the conservatory, but then the well-known film of Corbiau didn’t impress him so much. Not even the pyrotechnic baroque music appealed him. He played the violin and studied thoroughly Brahms and Shostakovich, but he probably was already inoculated byt the virus of the most extravagant vocal myth of the History. As a proof of that only one year later he decided to try as a singer. He wasn’t thinking about castration then and obviously not now, but the bloodless option of developing a career as a counter-tenor allowed him a reconciliation with Farinelli. He even sings the well-known air of Porpora (Alto Giove), that also appears in the film.

Farinelli is the topic of his last album (Erato) and the main appeal of his broad international tour that also stops in Spain: Barcelona, Pamplona and Madrid. The French star devotes his tournée to Nicola Porpora. “Till some extent I used the name of Farinelli to enlighten an almost forgotten composer, who embodied the best of the Neapolitan repertoire. Maybe Porpora was not a genius comparable to Händel or Vivaldi, but his highly accurate music deserves to be taken into account as one of the most evident steps towards the classicism” PJ said.

Philippe Jaroussky has no pretension to emulate Farinelli, he wants to evocate his artistry in a plausible and respectful way. That explains the airs Porpora composed for his "castrato". Those airs oscillate between pyrotechnic and introspection, the ones who really fits Jaroussky's voice. "Farinelli was a prodigy of art and nature. The music composed for him shows an awesome breathing capability and a terrific voice rage, that was able to change with ease from the very high to the lower notes. I can not sing just like him becasue I am a countertenor, but the repertoire I chose was the nearest to Farinelli I am capable to be. I am so interested in the slow airs because of their inner artistic sensitivity. Farinelli was an athlete, that's undeniable, but he was also a refined singer".

Jaroussky has studied deeply the athletic dimension of Farinelli's artistry, he even compares him and other well-known castrati of the Eighteenth-Century with the sport prodigy of Michael Phelps, who is an example of discipline. "We have assumed a very distorted and sterotyped image of the castrati. We think their merit was only a magnificient child voice, that survived many many years after the castration. It wasn't like that, many of them didn't achieve it. The successful ones only got it after many years of constant sacrifice; they studied so much and were totally devoted to their artistry".

Then Jaroussky explains the role Nicola Porpora had as a vocal trainner for Farinelli. He was like an old DDR coach. "Farinelli probably had to cry a lot lot before becoming the big star he was meant to be. There was pain and an enormous capacity of self-improvement. I'm not saying Porpora was a cruel and heartless teacher, but the sources show he was a very strict teacher and Farinelli was a very professional pupil".

The revision and updating due to Jaroussky's work was also devoted to the clichés concerning the performance myth. In fact, Corbiau's film, the one who didn't impress too muche a young Jaroussky (the impact was most unconscious), recreated a drammatic suggestion where people fainted before the singer. "I think I can afirm that Farinelli wasn't a great actor. He had his artistry as a singer, but concerning his qualities as an actor he was not a Caffarelli or a Giovanni Carestini. I believe his main virtue was his sensitivity and sweetness but not his scenic display". The Frech singer thinks his own credibility as an actor depends on the subtlety, the refinement and some sort of estetic trance that transforms him in the scene. "I believe I transmit a poetic state, even fragility. I realize that my audience is a mix of youngers and middle age women with maternal instict. I feel like they wanted to protect me. I'm 35 years, that's it, but in my view I still keep a boyish image that makes easier to identify with the youngers and it also evokes the need of caring in middle age women". ( I think he prefers to believe that than the most obvious reason wink  too much disturbing for him tongue )

His wide farinellian tour confirms those expectations and feelings. The european tournée has 25 concerts and it has demostrated that the saturated market is only in need of new approaches and projects. "Cecilia Bartoli has laready shown us the way to do it, it is a nonsense to produce an album because I said so. You have to offer a well-done work and a deep study. It is about filling a gap or offering new material. Those scopes are behind my own albums, that explains they took me around two years to elaborate and mature them. There is also a close relation between the disk and the tour, so both embodied a more complete and homogeneous experience. I won't deny there is a saturation, but I also noticed the contraction in the disk market has a compensatory effect in the increase of the selling in the concert halls".

Jaroussky also states that the free digital videos and recordings on Internet (like Youtube) are not only an obstacle for the live concerts but even an encouragement for the audience. "It happens to me and to other artists. The ones who watched something they liked in youtube are interested in attending my concerts. Then I believe there are new approaches to music that allows us to be much more optimistic about the future".
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty26th October 2013, 07:59

Thanks a lot, Pilar!    flowers  You're performing a great service for those of us who don't speak Spanish.  

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of Porpora as a former GDR coach!  Laughing   

As for the "caring middle aged women", I am well past middle age and can assure Monsieur Jaroussky that my feelings could definitely not be described as "motherly" ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty26th October 2013, 10:44

You're welcome, Artemis! Hehehe, poor Philippe, maybe he feels more confortable about the "motherly" explanation calm down 
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty26th October 2013, 14:01

Pilarddcc

Many thanks for your generous work!flowers 

To be honest, it is already quite disturbing that Monsieur Jaroussky,35 of age, always opposes  himself as one " eternal youth" to the " middle aged women", who are maybe a few years older than he. Maybe even younger.  It seem to be a complex. Pity, he don´t have enough  teenage girls in his fandom to comfort him instead of the "caring mommies" .

Here we are one large photo- to enjoy the more or less "motherly feelings".

Back to top Go down
Mercè

Mercè

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty26th October 2013, 14:58

I wonder if there are many opera singers, countertenors or not, that have a lot of teenagers fans (girls or boys) Even in other kind of concerts, the great majority of the public is aged between 30 and... 100!

As Artemis, my feelings for M. Jaroussky are'nt neither "motherly", although with my age I should be his mother (I've a daughter who is 35!).

Tomorrow I'll see Jaroussky at the Liceu; I'm so excited that I do'nt now if I could sleep this nigth...flowers
Back to top Go down
nannosec52

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty26th October 2013, 23:58

He spends too much time worrying about what a bunch of old women think ( and I am one of them, my kids are almost his age). He is fortunate to have a youthful countenance but the "eternal boy" thing can be a problem especially when you are pushing middle age. He is definitely a sweetheart ( like I always say, I may be old but I'm not dead yet). Maybe the fact that women find him attractive is something he has a hard time reconciling to his own sense of self. I just hope it doesn't stop him from doing what he wants and being his own person out of concern for what his fans think. As a artist his only obligation is to his art. The rest is irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty27th October 2013, 07:41

Nannosec 52: I think part of the problem is his re-cycling of old interviews. This is quite understandable; it must be very difficult to find something original to say when (many) journalists and television interviewers are forever asking the same old (often inane) questions. Frankly, I've lost count of the number of times that he's had to explain what a countertenor does over the past 10 years and am beginning to wonder if there is anyone in the French-speaking world who now doesn't know. About the "eternal boy" thing, hasn't Our Beautiful Ephebe already confessed to a bit of a Peter Pan complex (in a German-speaking magazine about 3 years ago)? I don't think he really worries what "a bunch of old women" think though; there is probably only a handful of people whose opinion he really values ...

Mercè: How I understand you! One of the things that depresses me when I go to the opera, a concert or even a straight play these days is the average age of the audience. I honestly think that unless a younger, replacement audience can be found, it won't be long before opera ceases to exist as an art form. Enjoy your concert in the lovely Liceu. I hope you'll give us a report afterwards.

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty27th October 2013, 09:15

From Spain:

Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty29th October 2013, 16:07

JaRoWi
The last link you posted is only an announcement of the concerts in Spain, no review...:-)
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty29th October 2013, 21:07

In  Catalan and Spanish :

Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty31st October 2013, 12:02

Back to top Go down
mon 1650

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty19th November 2013, 07:43

Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin
*JaRoWi1647*

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty27th January 2014, 22:06

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Farinelli et Porpora   Farinelli et Porpora Empty

Back to top Go down

Farinelli et Porpora
Page 1 of 1